Sarah Flint Sample Sale Review - October 2017
I love eggs - they're my favorite source of protein. I eat at least 2 a day.
These egg cups are so easy to make and they don't take much time at all. The most time-consuming part is just cutting up the veggies to put in each cup!
Here's how to make the one on the very bottom row:
Total Time: 35 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Yield: Makes 6 servings, 2 egg cups each
Nonstick cooking spray
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
16 large egg whites (2 cups)
Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
2 slices cooked turkey bacon, chopped
2 cups chopped green bell peppers
1 cup chopped onion
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare twelve muffin cups by coating with spray. Set aside.
3. Combine almond milk and egg whites in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired; whisk to blend. Set aside.
4. Evenly divide turkey bacon, bell peppers, and onion between prepared muffin cups.
5. Evenly pour egg white mixture over turkey bacon mixture.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of egg cups comes out clean, and eggs are set.
1/2 red & 1/2 green.
Make sure to tag me if you try it out for yourself! 😊
What do I bring for my 24-hour calls?
- Jacket in case it gets cold at night
- Stethoscope (of course)
- A LOT of pens and penlight
- ID badge (so you don't get locked out of certain areas of the hospital)
- Work to do or a book you may want to read (if it just so happens to be a good night)
- I used to bring the purple Pocket Medicine book (and our program received an Intern Survival Guide in the beginning of the year)
- DITCH the white coat - it's cumbersome and annoying
- Bag full of SNACKS
- Lunch bag with LOTS of meals (lean protein-rich) so you don't get hangry
- Laptop & charger
- Cell phone & charger
- A SUPER soft and comfy blanket to make you feel more at home for when you can sleep for a bit
It's important to meal prep prior to a call in order to avoid binging on sugary snacks (cakes, cookies, etc.) or anything you come across when you're stressed during the call...I've been there, I've done it...and it's not fun. There are NO excuses for straying off of your nutrition plan even if you're stressed and sleep-deprived! You have to take care of your body!
I officially completed my 3-Day Refresh Cleanse for the 2nd time ever! I completed my first round about the same time last year, and I got great results - I lost 4.6lbs, 2inches, and 2.5% body fat, but I did not document with pictures. So this time I'm excited to share with you my results with detailed thoughts and pictures!
3-Day Refresh - WHAT IS IT?
- Detox/cleanse program that is very different than most others on the market. It's a high protein, high fiber cleanse, so it won't leave you feeling hungry throughout the day (for the most part).
- It is NOT a juice cleanse which leaves you feeling weak, sluggish since liquid fasts are usually high in carbs (sugars) and low in proteins -> stress your organs and decrease the metabolism -> gain the weight you lost back immediately
- You have a strict schedule where you drink/eat specific things throughout the day.
- Most people lose ~2-5 lbs in those 3 days, depending on your starting weight and current diet.
WHO IS IT FOR?
- If you are attending a special event (wedding, birthday, graduation, etc.) that you want to "slim" down for
- If you want to look great on the beach and get rid of the bloating
- If you are plateauing in your results from your usual workout regimen
- If you want to commit to a healthier lifestyle and want to jump-start your journey
- If you want a BOOST in energy levels in a short amount of time
- If you want to increase your metabolism
- If you want to detox to build up your immune system function
- If you want to lose a few pounds and not worry about a "quick fix" that only leads you to gaining the weight back
WHAT IS THE TYPICAL DAY LIKE?
- Wake up & drink 8oz glass of water immediately
- Drink Shakeology (nutritious shake with 70+ superfoods) with a side of fruit (I mixed mine in) within 1 hour of waking up
- Drink fiber sweep (mixed with water) at least 1 hour after Shakeology
- (OPTIONAL) mid-morning herbal tea - no caffeine!
- LUNCH - vanilla fresh shake (20g protein with 22 essential vitamins and minerals; potato protein extract to curb hunger) AND 1 serving of fruit AND 1 serving of veggies
- SNACK - 1 serving of healthy fat AND 1 serving of veggies (I usually has hummus & carrot sticks)
- DINNER - vanilla fresh shake (20g protein with 22 essential vitamins and minerals; potato protein extract to curb hunger) AND 1 dinner option AND (OPTIONAL) 1 cup of organic vegetable broth
- (OPTIONAL) post-dinner herbal tea - no caffeine!
There is a program booklet that tells you what to expect and all the things you need to know to succeed in this program! You get 9 different delicious dinner recipes (I chose the cucumber & tomato salad and the veggie stir-fry). You will also get a maintenance guide to help you reintroduce certain foods and transition to a healthy diet to maintain your results.
DAY 1: Not terrible but did get a little hungry at night
- Woke up in the morning and almost forgot to drink water! I'm not used to chugging a glass of water right away. I usually just replenish with water during my workout (since I usually do a morning workout before heading to work)
- Did my workout (still followed my 21 Day Fix Extreme workout regimen)
- Made my Shakeology and drank it on the way to work
- I felt a little hungry an hour after the Shakeology but luckily that was just in time to drink my fiber sweep (it DOES clump so be careful with that or you may gag if you have a low tolerance, but I found that if I mixed it with a little more water and used a straw, I didn't have a problem at all!)
- Didn't feel hungry at all since it was a busy day seeing patients and consults on Neurology rotation
- Luckily there was no lecture so I wasn't tempted by any of my co-interns' food - I avoided the cafeteria purposely so I wouldn't tempt myself
- Ate my asparagus (tossed with 1 tsp olive oil, lemon juice, and a dash of Himalayan salt) and had my vanilla fresh shake with no issues!
- Didn't feel very hungry and when I did, I realized it was time for my snack (carrots & hummus)
- When I got home from rotations, it was already 6:30PM so I was pretty hungry, but the stir-fry, veggie broth, and vanilla fresh altogether is A LOT of food, so I was satisfied
- I did get a little hungry (usual late night cravings that I get) once 9-10PM hit, so I definitely needed the herbal tea (I had the autumn apple from Trader Joe's)
DAY 2: cravings were pretty bad today but I resisted temptations! I have a HUGE craving for chocolate and some meat today.
- No issues in the morning since I'm usually pretty busy seeing my patients before rounding with my attending BUT I did notice I got hungry around the same time between drinking my Shakeology and having the fiber sweep, but just when I felt hungry, it was time to drink the fiber sweep, so it worked out!
- Didn't eat lunch until maybe 1:30PM but for some reason (no idea why), I felt super sleepy around 3PM
- The sleepiness kind of went away after eating my snack but it was still through and lasted until around 4PM
- Dinner was the veggie stir-fry like Day 1 and it kept me full!
- Again felt hungry around 9-10PM, so I had my herbal tea but I probably should have cleared my house of snacks because I kept eyeing my chocolates
DAY 3: difficult but kept reminding myself it's the last day so I powered through
- Did not feel as hungry in the morning between Shakeology & fiber sweep - I think my body was starting to get used to the routine
- Lunch was great - I had green beans with curry powder! The spiciness definitely helped the green beans taste better
- Dinner was cucumber & tomato salad which I wish I made for Day 1 and 2, because it was super easy to make AND tasted delicious with the vinegar in it!
- I had some cravings at night but I think mainly because I knew that I could have real food once it was over, so I was thinking about that but at the same time, because I knew it was almost over, I resisted!
WHAT KEPT ME ON TRACK?
- My accountability group! One of the coaches on my team ran a 3-Day Refresh group on Facebook, and we checked-in daily with our meals - I found that it really helped me stay on track and the fact that other people felt the same way in terms of sleepiness and cravings when I did made me feel weirdly better and that I wasn't alone!
- Knowing that I would get amazing results like last time!
I lost 2 inches total - 1" from my hips and 1" from my waist, which are both my problem areas! Those are also the exact areas that I lost from last year when I completed this program, so I'm super excited. But that also means that I'm still taking in too many carbs/fats on a daily basis (oops), because that was where my bloating came from, thus it went away when I focused on a high protein, high fiber diet along with some carbs (fruits and shakes) and healthy fats.
Overall, this is NOT an easy program to do especially if you're surrounded by people who are eating REAL food, but it does get you results if you follow through!
I think the fact that it is only 3 days if genius. The way I thought about it is that on Day 1, you're super excited about it so you'll stay focused. Day 2 is particularly hard, but you can keep telling yourself you're half-way through! And then finally on Day 3, you can say "it's only one more day - I can do this!" and then you're done!
- I definitely feel like my digestion is better! My bowel movements were pretty regular to begin with (2-3x/day) but I felt like the process was a lot smoother and faster than usual (sorry not sorry we're talking about poop - it's important since constipation is a HUGE issue in the U.S.).
- I do not feel bloated anymore (I did feel bloated during the 3 days though because I chose certain fruits that were more bloat-inducing).
- I feel lighter and definitely have more energy!
- I was no longer craving sweets like I usually do and opted for healthier options like veggies for snacks/meals
- I felt like my taste buds were more sensitive and things tasted better
- I drank a lot more water because when I got hungry and it wasn't time to eat yet, I just chugged water, so it worked out well, because usually I don't get as much as I should!
I will definitely do it again probably the same time next year to get ready for the summer or in the future for special events.
If you have any questions about the 3-Day Refresh or want to try it out for yourself, email me at email@example.com and put "3-Day Refresh" in the subject line.
I tried this super easy to make recipe out during my 3-Day Refresh cleanse, and it was delicious! It takes only a few minutes to prep, tastes delicious, and is a light meal (won't cause bloating!) - perfect for the warmer weather!
Containers: 2 greens, 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves (chopped) - I actually just used dried basil
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped) - I use dried parsley
- A dash of Himalayan salt
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, vinegars, and oil – mix well
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, onion, and basil
- Drizzle your salad dressing in your small bowl over your veggies and toss well!
ENJOY :) Comment below or tag me on Facebook or Instagram (@driristian) if you end up making it yourself!
I think this fun fact will blow your mind and change how you think about weight loss. Even just 1 lb of weight loss can change how your body functions!
Tune in next week for another Weekday Wednesday Wisdom!
If you are interested in learning more about my monthly accountability groups, don't hesitate to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the "Join My Challenge Group" tab!
Looking forward to speaking with you,
I'm always looking for healthier versions of unhealthy foods, because I'm a total foodie, and I have the mentality that we shouldn't sacrifice taste for health. I always see my step-dad eating the Perdue chicken tenders but those are breaded and filled with preservatives and unnecessary ingredients, so I decided to make my own to satisfy my cravings without breaking my healthy nutrition plan!
I got all my ingredients from Trader Joe's (they have chicken tenders already cut up for you!)
Oven-Baked Panko-crusted Chicken Tenders
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15-20 min
Total time: 30-35 min
- Chicken tenders (Trader Joe's) or chicken breasts (cut into smaller/thinner slices)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Sprinkle of salt, pepper
- OPTIONAL: chili powder, curry powder, nutritional yeast (for extra nutrients), etc.
- If you feel like your chicken needs tenderizing, you can but with the chicken tenders, I didn't feel like it was necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line up your chicken, then bowl of eggs, seasoned panko crumbs, and a cookie sheet sprayed with coconut oil spray
- Dip your chicken tender one by one into the egg yolks
- Coat evenly with panko crumbs
- Re-dip and coat if you want more breading (would be crispier)
- Place onto cookie sheets and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the breading is browned and crispy-looking
ENJOY!! The chicken turned out to be just right! Juicy and tender! SUCCESS.
CONTAINERS: 2 chicken tenders = 1.5 red, 1 yellow
I'd love to see your photos! Tag me on Facebook or Instagram (@driristian)!
If you want to watch the process:
How many of you are so busy running around all day that you "don't have time" to cook?
Well, I did some quick meal prepping for my 24-hour call on Sunday and this could not have been easier to make! This might have taken at most 10-15 minutes?!
- 3 boneless pork chops (I got Market Pantry from Target because it was on sale)
- Weber coffee rub (I got mine from a subscription box but you can get yours HERE)
- 1 cup water (this may have been a little too much but the pork chops still look pretty seasoned so maybe doesn't matter? It's better to have them moist than dry to be safe)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (I used Thrive Market)
What you'll need:
- Instant Pot
- Turn on Instant Pot by pressing "Saute" mode and put in 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Marinade pork chops with coffee rub - coat evenly on both sides
- Once the oil is melted, place pork chops into the Instant Pot and saute for 1-2 minutes on each side just enough until the surface browns
- Turn off and press "Manual" mode for high pressure cooking and decrease time to 5 minutes
- Add 1 cup of water, put the lid on, make sure it's set to "seal"
- Wait until it's done and enjoy!
Hope you like it! Super easy to make and really takes minimal effort (just the way I like it!) :)
Who suffers from allergies & sinusitis?!
I know with the change of seasons, many patients have been suffering from allergies, upper respiratory tract infections, and sinusitis, and it is the most common reason for visiting your primary doctor/family doctor right around now (and I'm living that since I'm on Family Medicine Rotation), so I wanted to share with you what has worked for me, including supplements and OMT (Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment) techniques, that you can use and do right at home to alleviate symptoms of lymphatic congestion!
Let me know if you try out those lymphatic drainage techniques!