I officially completed my 3-Day Refresh Cleanse for the 2nd time ever! I completed my first round about the same time last year, and I got great results - I lost 4.6lbs, 2inches, and 2.5% body fat, but I did not document with pictures. So this time I'm excited to share with you my results with detailed thoughts and pictures!
3-Day Refresh - WHAT IS IT?
- Detox/cleanse program that is very different than most others on the market. It's a high protein, high fiber cleanse, so it won't leave you feeling hungry throughout the day (for the most part).
- It is NOT a juice cleanse which leaves you feeling weak, sluggish since liquid fasts are usually high in carbs (sugars) and low in proteins -> stress your organs and decrease the metabolism -> gain the weight you lost back immediately
- You have a strict schedule where you drink/eat specific things throughout the day.
- Most people lose ~2-5 lbs in those 3 days, depending on your starting weight and current diet.
WHO IS IT FOR?
- If you are attending a special event (wedding, birthday, graduation, etc.) that you want to "slim" down for
- If you want to look great on the beach and get rid of the bloating
- If you are plateauing in your results from your usual workout regimen
- If you want to commit to a healthier lifestyle and want to jump-start your journey
- If you want a BOOST in energy levels in a short amount of time
- If you want to increase your metabolism
- If you want to detox to build up your immune system function
- If you want to lose a few pounds and not worry about a "quick fix" that only leads you to gaining the weight back
WHAT IS THE TYPICAL DAY LIKE?
- Wake up & drink 8oz glass of water immediately
- Drink Shakeology (nutritious shake with 70+ superfoods) with a side of fruit (I mixed mine in) within 1 hour of waking up
- Drink fiber sweep (mixed with water) at least 1 hour after Shakeology
- (OPTIONAL) mid-morning herbal tea - no caffeine!
- LUNCH - vanilla fresh shake (20g protein with 22 essential vitamins and minerals; potato protein extract to curb hunger) AND 1 serving of fruit AND 1 serving of veggies
- SNACK - 1 serving of healthy fat AND 1 serving of veggies (I usually has hummus & carrot sticks)
- DINNER - vanilla fresh shake (20g protein with 22 essential vitamins and minerals; potato protein extract to curb hunger) AND 1 dinner option AND (OPTIONAL) 1 cup of organic vegetable broth
- (OPTIONAL) post-dinner herbal tea - no caffeine!
There is a program booklet that tells you what to expect and all the things you need to know to succeed in this program! You get 9 different delicious dinner recipes (I chose the cucumber & tomato salad and the veggie stir-fry). You will also get a maintenance guide to help you reintroduce certain foods and transition to a healthy diet to maintain your results.
DAY 1: Not terrible but did get a little hungry at night
- Woke up in the morning and almost forgot to drink water! I'm not used to chugging a glass of water right away. I usually just replenish with water during my workout (since I usually do a morning workout before heading to work)
- Did my workout (still followed my 21 Day Fix Extreme workout regimen)
- Made my Shakeology and drank it on the way to work
- I felt a little hungry an hour after the Shakeology but luckily that was just in time to drink my fiber sweep (it DOES clump so be careful with that or you may gag if you have a low tolerance, but I found that if I mixed it with a little more water and used a straw, I didn't have a problem at all!)
- Didn't feel hungry at all since it was a busy day seeing patients and consults on Neurology rotation
- Luckily there was no lecture so I wasn't tempted by any of my co-interns' food - I avoided the cafeteria purposely so I wouldn't tempt myself
- Ate my asparagus (tossed with 1 tsp olive oil, lemon juice, and a dash of Himalayan salt) and had my vanilla fresh shake with no issues!
- Didn't feel very hungry and when I did, I realized it was time for my snack (carrots & hummus)
- When I got home from rotations, it was already 6:30PM so I was pretty hungry, but the stir-fry, veggie broth, and vanilla fresh altogether is A LOT of food, so I was satisfied
- I did get a little hungry (usual late night cravings that I get) once 9-10PM hit, so I definitely needed the herbal tea (I had the autumn apple from Trader Joe's)
DAY 2: cravings were pretty bad today but I resisted temptations! I have a HUGE craving for chocolate and some meat today.
- No issues in the morning since I'm usually pretty busy seeing my patients before rounding with my attending BUT I did notice I got hungry around the same time between drinking my Shakeology and having the fiber sweep, but just when I felt hungry, it was time to drink the fiber sweep, so it worked out!
- Didn't eat lunch until maybe 1:30PM but for some reason (no idea why), I felt super sleepy around 3PM
- The sleepiness kind of went away after eating my snack but it was still through and lasted until around 4PM
- Dinner was the veggie stir-fry like Day 1 and it kept me full!
- Again felt hungry around 9-10PM, so I had my herbal tea but I probably should have cleared my house of snacks because I kept eyeing my chocolates
DAY 3: difficult but kept reminding myself it's the last day so I powered through
- Did not feel as hungry in the morning between Shakeology & fiber sweep - I think my body was starting to get used to the routine
- Lunch was great - I had green beans with curry powder! The spiciness definitely helped the green beans taste better
- Dinner was cucumber & tomato salad which I wish I made for Day 1 and 2, because it was super easy to make AND tasted delicious with the vinegar in it!
- I had some cravings at night but I think mainly because I knew that I could have real food once it was over, so I was thinking about that but at the same time, because I knew it was almost over, I resisted!
WHAT KEPT ME ON TRACK?
- My accountability group! One of the coaches on my team ran a 3-Day Refresh group on Facebook, and we checked-in daily with our meals - I found that it really helped me stay on track and the fact that other people felt the same way in terms of sleepiness and cravings when I did made me feel weirdly better and that I wasn't alone!
- Knowing that I would get amazing results like last time!
I lost 2 inches total - 1" from my hips and 1" from my waist, which are both my problem areas! Those are also the exact areas that I lost from last year when I completed this program, so I'm super excited. But that also means that I'm still taking in too many carbs/fats on a daily basis (oops), because that was where my bloating came from, thus it went away when I focused on a high protein, high fiber diet along with some carbs (fruits and shakes) and healthy fats.
Overall, this is NOT an easy program to do especially if you're surrounded by people who are eating REAL food, but it does get you results if you follow through!
I think the fact that it is only 3 days if genius. The way I thought about it is that on Day 1, you're super excited about it so you'll stay focused. Day 2 is particularly hard, but you can keep telling yourself you're half-way through! And then finally on Day 3, you can say "it's only one more day - I can do this!" and then you're done!
- I definitely feel like my digestion is better! My bowel movements were pretty regular to begin with (2-3x/day) but I felt like the process was a lot smoother and faster than usual (sorry not sorry we're talking about poop - it's important since constipation is a HUGE issue in the U.S.).
- I do not feel bloated anymore (I did feel bloated during the 3 days though because I chose certain fruits that were more bloat-inducing).
- I feel lighter and definitely have more energy!
- I was no longer craving sweets like I usually do and opted for healthier options like veggies for snacks/meals
- I felt like my taste buds were more sensitive and things tasted better
- I drank a lot more water because when I got hungry and it wasn't time to eat yet, I just chugged water, so it worked out well, because usually I don't get as much as I should!
I will definitely do it again probably the same time next year to get ready for the summer or in the future for special events.
If you have any questions about the 3-Day Refresh or want to try it out for yourself, email me at email@example.com and put "3-Day Refresh" in the subject line.